Monday 22nd May
As the exhibition room was now complete, we were allocated our spaces in the room so that we could start prepping our exhibition display. This included: topping up the pain around the edges of the boards, repainting any areas and sanding down any rough edges. As my space is on the corner where there is access to and from the back of the boards, where exhibition work was saved, I had to wait until the door was closed up before I could gum strip the panel. Once that was done, I was then able to arrange my work in the space I had to see how the work could potentially be displayed.
Inspired by artwork by an unknown artists, I decided that I would like to hang the garment to represent the hanging meats at a butchers shop. In order to recreate this image, I have decided that it could be successful to use material to represent each of the industries including: ropes, chains and piping. This could potentially be used to hang the garments, as an alternative to fishing wire or string.
Using a wooden bar which I had painted white, I wrapped around blue rope, chains and piping, to represent the different industries. This will be the hanging mechanism for each of the corresponding garments adding the final edge to the garments.
Taking inspiration throughout the project on the company Uniqlo and using it as a potential idea for my exhibition. I decided that I would require plinths that I could display my work on. With this in mind, I went on a search to find three plinths’ that would sit neatly under my garments. The first plinth I came across was a long quite flat plinth. Using my objects, I tested to see if this looked eye-catching, however it gave the impression that the objects where a collection and therefore this would take away the idea of the object being a product of each of the garments and what they represent. Finding another one on an average size of 1ft by 1ft, I decided to take it home and get some panels cut precisely so that I could fit them together to make an extra two plinths. This size was perfect, as it would allow enough space between the object and the garment, in order for them to be seen together, but not too close that the object is lost.
Too low down to have an impact on the work.
Plinths too high to hand garments above them. However much more visually successful on separate plinths higher above the ground.
This was the most successful with the plinth being 1ft by 1ft. you could see each item individually with it being far enough off the floor to visually attract the viewers.